|This industrial city on Kempenfelt Bay began in 1812 as an outpost on a military road linking Lake Ontario to the upper Great lakes.
It is named after Commodore Robert Barrie, commander of the naval shipyard at Kingston.
The Barrie Tanning Company was it's oldest industry.
It stood until 1979 until it was demolished.
Minets Point was a very popular beach and picnic area in the 1950's and it's dance hall attracted people from miles around, it burned to the ground in the 1960's .
Annexed by Barrie in the 1980's the area is now one of Barrie's most popular beaches.
There is a military museum at nearby CFB Borden and just north of Barrie is the Simcoe County Museum and Archives which has re-created a 19th century street and an 1834 log house furnished in pioneer style and old -time barns where blacksmiths and barrel makers demonstrate their crafts.
One of the few wooden windmills remaining is there as well.